About Me

I’m just happy to be here. It took me a half century but I’m starting to figure it out. A good life starts with good thoughts. Our brains are programmable and we set the code. Good thoughts in and bad thoughts out and so it goes. Like most people, I’m irreverent, spiritual, jaded and trusting. I’m learning to admit fault quickly and accept apology with grace. I haven’t always been the perfect mother but my love is strong and I’m thankful I taught my children to accept my own apologies with grace. I don’t think marriage is essential for happiness but since I bought into the institution in my twenties I’m pretty damn thankful that the second time around I picked a guy who loves me no matter how I look in the morning. And the fact that he still makes my heart go crazy is a nice bonus. Life’s simple. We just like to make it complicated. Why "Holy Spoon?" Because sometimes life just seems to be a series of misinformation and misunderstandings. When I was young my family called the slotted spoon the “holy spoon” and in my childish brain I believed it held some religious significance. I’m not sure why I thought God cared about what was in our silverware drawer.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Not so Fondly

    
      Houstonians wear the one hundred percent humidity that shrouds the city as if it were a second set of fine clothing. They’re proud and tough. “If you can live with this humidity you can live anywhere.” I heard it said no less than a thousand times while growing up. The muddy Buffalo Bayou runs through town and the city is blessed with tall pines that graciously obscure the miles and miles of flat and boring terrain that flow to Galveston and the brown waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
     I remember two water fountains that sat side by side in the back of the Lewis & Coker grocery store. “Don’t drink out of that one. Use the other.” By the late Sixties the signs with the words “colored” and “white” had been removed but the screw holes and the yellowed outlines remained. Some parents still instructed their little ones to use the “white” fountain. I grew up going to that grocery store every day. Opal, Mary and Cora were the checkers and Jimmy was the smiling bag boy who pushed our cart to the car and unloaded the groceries into the back of our Pontiac. 
     We called Jimmy “the bag boy” but, in reality, he was a grown man with the mental capacity of a 10 year old. When I was in junior high he drank a bottle of drain cleaner in an effort to end a life that we all thought was uncomplicated but must have been plagued by demons and depression. It was my first glaring realization that people are rarely what they appear to be and life is not as simple as nostalgia paints the picture. 
     Problems were whispered and hushed. Dads went to work and moms stayed home and barefoot children had the run of the neighborhood from morning ‘til dark.  They raced from one green lawn to the next and from tree to tree on makeshift baseball fields. Every yard in our neighborhood had a small ditch at the end of the driveway and, when it wasn’t filled with muddy water running off our below sea level yards, it made a perfect resting place. Our skinny little backs bent in unison with the slope of the yard. Our lazy moments were laced with gossip because the kids in the neighborhood always know the truth. Behind the little ranch style houses were families with secrets they never talked about.
     I always thought it was the muggy air that made people do crazy things but now I know that families and their problems are universal. Mr. Lydell lived one block over from us.  On his forty sixth birthday he got up from the dining room table, calmly walked into the hall bath and shot his brains to smithereens.  His family was eating meat loaf and mashed potatoes and the candles on the chocolate sheet cake were ready to be lit. I don’t ever recall anyone saying he had been unhappy.

"The times they are a changin'." Bob Dylan was right and thank God for that. When my own kids look back on their childhood what will they remember? We're better equipped to recognize and deal with depression but suicide remains a scourge. Segregation and the separate water fountains have given way to other social injustices but the outcry of collective voices seems much louder in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment