About Me

I’m just happy to be here. It took me a half century but I’m starting to figure it out. A good life starts with good thoughts. Our brains are programmable and we set the code. Good thoughts in and bad thoughts out and so it goes. Like most people, I’m irreverent, spiritual, jaded and trusting. I’m learning to admit fault quickly and accept apology with grace. I haven’t always been the perfect mother but my love is strong and I’m thankful I taught my children to accept my own apologies with grace. I don’t think marriage is essential for happiness but since I bought into the institution in my twenties I’m pretty damn thankful that the second time around I picked a guy who loves me no matter how I look in the morning. And the fact that he still makes my heart go crazy is a nice bonus. Life’s simple. We just like to make it complicated. Why "Holy Spoon?" Because sometimes life just seems to be a series of misinformation and misunderstandings. When I was young my family called the slotted spoon the “holy spoon” and in my childish brain I believed it held some religious significance. I’m not sure why I thought God cared about what was in our silverware drawer.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Letter to My Grown Up Kids

     Let me put it in writing-I wasn’t the best baby mom. I know I can’t be the only one who feigned sleep so her husband would get up with the baby. And how many nights did we both lay there, eyes closed, still as corpses and trying to fool the other with our shallow sleep breathing? And the baby cried on…and on.  What is it about baby crying that seems positively endless? Five minutes feels like fifty.
     Here’s something else I’ll put in writing-I think I was a damn good mom for the teen years and I’m pretty good at parenting the young adults. I love being around my grown children and at 18 and 21 they still need to hear a parent’s encouraging words and sometimes, as we say in our house, have a “come to Jesus” meeting when tough love is needed.
     The parenting dance goes like this…when the sweet, cherubic face of the toddler evolves into the sullen mask of the teen, it’s only natural that we switch up our tactics. As that teen becomes an adult, we think our parenting role is finished when, in fact, they may need us more than ever.  Carpools, field trips, packing lunches and parent teacher conferences may be over but guiding them into and through adulthood has just begun.
     Here’s my open letter to my kids. It’s a reinforcement of all that they’ve been taught. Let’s face it, the stresses of adult life can overwhelm the best of us and guideposts are always welcome.

Shore up your foundation. If you’re not happy with the real you-the person that the outside world never sees-you better put fixing yourself at the top of your to do list. The classical pragmatist George Santayna said “the loftiest edifices have the deepest foundations.” It’s your inner strength and your own strong foundation on which your dreams are built.

Be respectful of authority but respectfully disagree when someone tries to rain on your parade.  The people who tell you it can’t be done are not your friends.  The skeptics will roll their eyes. Ignore them. You are the architect of your own destiny.  Remodel. Expand. Add another story.

Put one foot in front of the other and you’ll get there in your own time. Baby steps or great leaps, it doesn’t matter as long as you’ve got forward momentum.  If you’re taking steps back in the form of a setback, and you can’t summon the strength to reverse it now, then sit and be quiet for a moment or for a day. Sometimes it’s best to do nothing more than breathe deeply. A clear head clears problems.

Don’t let anyone tell you that it’s wrong to question. You were given that brain by God.  Seek your own truth. Don’t be shackled by the beliefs of others. Find God in the mountains, music, a theater, a crowded city street or in a sanctuary. He’s everywhere…especially in your heart. Spiritual journeys can take you to wonderful places. Follow your own path to enlightenment.

If you insist on a tattoo, remember that skin sags with age. Today’s rose tattoo will be withered and wilted by the time you’re in the nursing home.

Play nice in the workplace. Never be the bully in anyone’s life. Remember the bullies from the sandbox? They’re all grown up and making life hell for their coworkers. You can confront bad behavior without stooping to their lowly level. Refuse to retaliate and remember how it felt to be bullied.  “Never take a person’s dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you.” Frank Barron said that. He was an astute thinker who spent many years studying the psychology of creativity. He’s a great go-to guy for quotes, as well.

Always give credit where credit is due.

Trust your instincts when choosing who to let into your life. True friends are happy for your accomplishments and sad for your losses. A wide circle of acquaintances is a wonderful thing but you don’t have to make everyone your best friend.

Embrace your creativity. Keep your passions alive and you’ll live a better life. It’s a simple concept but one that so many people find hard to grasp.

Most important of all, remember this-clouds lift, rain stops, and the sun will shine again. Life isn’t perfect. Sometimes we get so caught up in our problems that emotion clouds our brains and we feel emotionally paralyzed.  I feel compelled to say this, not because either of you have shown any signs of depression that would lead to suicide, but because I know how quickly and unexpectedly those signs can appear.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You are blessed with friends and family who love you.


8 comments:

  1. And the best revenge on all those nasty bullies and negative "friends", is a life well lived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the great article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful article! You are an amazing mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read all your blogs, hope you plan to put more. Your self awareness and reflection are amazing. I pray every day to bring me that inner peace. I am the Mom in your story ADDled, the one answering the door. Our boy is 11. I don't see a light at the end of any tunnel. Would love to undertand how you did it. I pray for peace in our family cause right now there isn't much and I don't want my children to remember that person or that family. Keep writing, I will continue reading And thank you for sharing all you have. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kandi-Thank yous are coming from the bottom of my heart! I have been deep in that parenting tunnel with no light at the end and, as I remember, it was darkest when the child with ADD was around 11.

    You're dealing with not just your middle school child but his peers and middle school teachers (some of whom seem to act as middle school kids themselves!) How did we deal with it?

    I think this was at the height of my own yelling and door slamming but once I calmed down and realized it was getting me no where I took stock of what we HAD done that worked and tried to build on it.

    Lots and lots of structured exercise. My son played baseball and ice hockey year round. I know some children don't enjoy team sports or that money may be an issue for some families. When he quit organized sports at 15 I thought it would be a nightmare but he found a passion for guitar and channeled his focus and energy into playing.

    My main thinking was this: it's hard for ADD/ADHD kids to feel good about themselves and they also have a ton of energy so by giving him something he enjoyed and excelled at we were using unspent energy and building up his self esteem at the same time.

    We never used drugs but relied on behavior modification. All homework was done in the kitchen and in front of the clock because, as you well know, time management can be a nightmare for these kids. When he looked like he was losing focus a touch on the shoulder or a pat on the back brought him back.

    Very often, we made him report to someone else on school projects or if he needed help in a certain subject. I didn't always want to be the mean parent. When a paper was due my sister would volunteer to oversee the project. That can be a huge relief for you and your son and the little bit of peace that it brings can help you recharge. If he was struggling in math an older cousin or a school tutor would help out.

    That light at the tunnel's end will appear! I'm wishing you a peaceful end to the school year!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, I've always found your openness and honesty to be so refreshing in a world that places so much value on outward appearances.

    ReplyDelete