About Me

I’m just happy to be here. It took me a half century but I’m starting to figure it out. A good life starts with good thoughts. Our brains are programmable and we set the code. Good thoughts in and bad thoughts out and so it goes. Like most people, I’m irreverent, spiritual, jaded and trusting. I’m learning to admit fault quickly and accept apology with grace. I haven’t always been the perfect mother but my love is strong and I’m thankful I taught my children to accept my own apologies with grace. I don’t think marriage is essential for happiness but since I bought into the institution in my twenties I’m pretty damn thankful that the second time around I picked a guy who loves me no matter how I look in the morning. And the fact that he still makes my heart go crazy is a nice bonus. Life’s simple. We just like to make it complicated. Why "Holy Spoon?" Because sometimes life just seems to be a series of misinformation and misunderstandings. When I was young my family called the slotted spoon the “holy spoon” and in my childish brain I believed it held some religious significance. I’m not sure why I thought God cared about what was in our silverware drawer.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Grateful...



for ever so slowly becoming a glass half full kind of person and for peering into life's cup and seeing that yes, indeed,
there's good stuff just waiting to be sipped

for learning to live with an open heart
and for the people in my life who helped me pry it open
when I felt it was so much safer to keep it closed

for children who taught me to laugh more often and love unconditionally
and that anger should be fleeting and not lingering

for Thanksgiving aromas and a dinner feast-a roasting Turkey, stuffing, good gravy, mashed potatoes,
pies, pies, pies,
and that gooey Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup to make the very unhealthy,
but absolutely delicious, green bean casserole

for learning the difference between living to eat
and eating to live

for the rain, even on Thanksgiving Day, 
and for the blue sky after the pouring rain

for the ability to think for myself
and form my own opinions

for the technology that connects me to family
when we are apart
 
for the courage to hit the publish button and share my thoughts
and for the friends who read Holy Spoon...you are much cheaper than therapy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment